Ginger Pound Cake


 

While looking through my Victoria Christmas books for ideas and recipes, I came across this delightful pound cake recipe. My husband is a great fan of pound cake and I thought it would be nice to have for a wonderful afternoon tea.


The recipe is in The Heart of Christmas. I found it to be refreshing. My husband would like more of a ginger flavor, so when I make it next, I will double the ginger and double the recipe to get
a taller cake. As is, the cake has a light note, a fragrance of ginger.
It goes wonderfully with a spiced tea.


Ginger Pound Cake

Pound Cake:
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 ¼ cups sifted cake flour

Glaze:
½ cup ginger currant wine (or grate fresh ginger
in ½ cup warmed cream sherry for 30 minutes – I had neither,
so I made a ginger sugar syrup – this may be why my
cake was lighter in flavor)
2 tablespoons sugar
crystallized ginger slices, for garnish

To make the Pound Cake:

1.   Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 6 cup fluted black tube pan.
2.   In the medium bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until very light.
3.   In a large bowl, using clean beaters beat the eggs, sugar, and ground ginger at high speed for 6 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is light and fluffy. Using a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula, gently but thoroughly fold in the sifted flour.
4.   With the mixer at low speed, gradually blend in the butter. Do not mix for more than 30 seconds but continue to blend in the butter by folding gently with a wooden spoon. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
5.   Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool the cake in the pan or on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool on a rack for 30 minutes.

To make the Glaze:

1.   in a small saucepan combine the wine with the sugar. Heat over low heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
2.   Put the cake on a serving platter and pierce small holes with a wooden skewer or fork on the fluted side. Slowly pour the glaze over the cake and cool completely. Wrap in plastic wrap and let the cake stand overnight to soak up the glaze.
3.   Before serving, decorate the cake with crystallized ginger.



For Breakfast



I used my new Gracie China cup with flowers and butterflies given to me by my son. Each year, our dear friend gifts us with a wonderful Butter Christmas Stollen. It is wonderful with a rich cup of coffee. Christmas has now passed. All have returned to their regular routines, the house is quiet. But, in these quiet moments I can still hear the warm sounds of my husband’s and children’s laughter, the warmth of the love we shared spending Christmas together this year.


What a wonderful gift – memories – may yours be warm and comforting this day.