Substitutions Allowed



When I was preparing to make my shortbread cookies 
last week, I discovered I was out of sugar. We had a dinner 
at church and I forgot I’d used the last to make gallons 
of sweet iced tea.



Undaunted, I researched whether I could and what 
amount would be appropriate to substitute 
confectioner’s sugar for the sugar.


As it turned out for baking, you can substitute the sugars. 
For 1 cup of granulated sugar you’d use 1 3/4 
cups confectioner’s sugar. The cookies turned out great.



Well, the substitutions didn’t end there. Not only was I out 
of sugar, I was also out of al-purpose flour. I generally use 
self-raising flour when baking. So, I substituted equal 
amounts – omitting the salt required in the recipe. 
All went well.


I have often substituted ingredients while cooking. For 
the cake recipe I made a few weeks back, normally I use 
sour cream – full fat too – I was out so I substituted the 
vanilla Greek yogurt I had on had – I actually like the 
texture and taste better with the yogurt!


Here are a few other substitutes you can use:

Baking Powder = 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar OR 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 cup buttermilk (decrease liquid in recipe by 1/2 cup)
Bread Crumbs (1 cup) = 1 cup crushed cracker crumbs 1cup matzo meal 1 cup crushed cornflakes 1 cup ground oats 1 cup crushed potato chips
Brown Sugar (1 cup) = 1 cup white sugar plus 1/4 cup molasses and decrease the liquid in recipe by 1/4 cup OR 1 cup white sugar OR 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
Buttermilk (1 cup) = 1 cup yogurt OR 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup
Corn Syrup (dark-1 cup) = 3/4 cup (180 ml) light corn syrup plus 1/4 cup (60 ml) light molasses
Corn Syrup (light-1cup) = 1 cup (240 ml) dark corn syrup 1 cup(240 ml)  treacle 1 cup (240 ml) liquid glucose1 cup (240 ml) honey 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar (increase the liquid in the recipe by 1/4 cup (60 ml))
Cream ( ½  and ½-1 cup) = 7/8 cup milk plus 1 tablespoon butter
Cream (heavy-1cup) = 1 cup evaporated milk OR 3/4 cup milk plus 1/3 cup butter
Cream Cheese (1 cup) = 1 cup pureed cottage cheese OR 1 cup plain yogurt, strained overnight in a cheesecloth
Crème fraiche (1 cup) = Combine 1 cup of heavy cream and 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt. Let stand for 6 hours at room temperature
Fats for baking (1 cup) = 1 cup applesauce OR 1 cup fruit puree
Cake flour (1 cup) = 3/4 cup (100 grams) all purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons (20 grams) cornstarch
Self-Raising Flour (1 cup) = 7/8 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Ketchup (1 cup) = 1 cup tomato sauce plus 1 teaspoon vinegar plus 1 tablespoon sugar
Lemon juice = 1/2 teaspoon vinegar OR 1 teaspoon white wine OR 1 teaspoon lime juice
Mayonnaise (1 cup)  = 1 cup sour cream OR 1 cup plain yogurt
Mustard = Mix together 1 tablespoon dried mustard, 1 teaspoon water, 1 teaspoon vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar
Sour cream (1 cup)  = 1 cup plain yogurt OR 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough cream to make 1 cup OR 3/4 cup buttermilk mixed with 1/3 cup butter
Sweetened condensed milk (1 cup) = 3/4 cup white sugar mixed with 1/2 cup water and 1 1/8 cups dry powdered milk: Bring to a boil and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 20 minutes.